Argyle Legends vs Liverpool Legends 2010

Argyle Legends were defeated but not disgraced in their eagerly awaited game against the world famous Liverpool Legends.  The game, played in front of a packed Mayflower Enclosure and Grandstand at Home Park was in the balance until two quick-fire second half goals and a late penalty gave Liverpool Legends a deserved 3 - 0 victory.  The game kicked off in bright sunshine and the Liverpool side full of medal winners, were soon passing the ball around in true Anfield tradition.  Argyle Legends wearing their sparkling new kit, kept their shape and chances were few and far between.

After only 10 minutes Argyle Legends suffered a blow when goalkeeper Peta Balac was injured in an accidental collision with Liverpool guest player and eBay winner Chris Jones.  Replacement keeper Gary Penhaligon was soon in action saving well from Alan Kennedy and Paul Walsh (twice).  Argyle Legends were coming more into the game and went close after 24 minutes when Martin Barlow shot just over the crossbar with Liverpool goalkeeper Bob Bolder well out of his goal.  Argyle Legends replaced Gordon Nisbet with Geoff Battams in the 25th minute and a minute later Kevin Hodges shot well over with a long range effort.  Chances were minimal for Argyle but with Ryan Cross and Chris Harrison outstanding in defence Liverpool were finding it difficult to penetrate the Legends rearguard.

In the 34th minute a fine cross from Martin Phillips was headed narrowly over by Danny O'Hagan.  The half ended with Liverpool on the offensive with Paul Walsh and Alan Kennedy bringing fine saves from Gary Penhaligon.

Argyle Legends manager Johnny Hore made six changes for the second half, fulfilling a Legends promise to give everyone a run out with Chris Harrison taking the captains armband from Mark Rowe.  Liverpool made two substitutions with Phil Babb and Jimmy Case replacing John Warkand Phil Neal.

Argyle were quickly into their stride and Bob Bolder made a fine stop from Kevin Nancekivill in the 48th minute.  In the 50th minute Argyle Legend Tommy Tynan came on to raptourous cheers, replacing Ryan Cross.  Liverpool were looking threatening going forward with Mark Walters hitting the upright in the 53rd minute.  A minute later both sides made further substitutions with Joe Davey replacing Geoff Battams and Don Hutchinson replacing Alan Kennedy.  Liverpool's proved to be the more decisive as it was Hutchinson who opened the scoring in the 56th minute with a low shot into the bottom corner of the net.  A minute later Jan Molby doubled their lead with a similar effort.

With an hour gone John Matthews hobbled off to be replaced by Jason Jones and 2 minutes later Argyle Legends made a further substitution with the other eBay winner Kevin Keegan replacing Gary Penhaligon between the posts.  Any hopes Argyle Legends had of getting back into the game were shattered in the 74th minute when a penalty was awarded after a clumsy challenge on Mark Walters.  Chris Jones sent the Legends keeper the wrong way with a well taken penalty to make it 3 - 0 to Liverpool Legends.

Despite late efforts from Tynan and Nancekivill it was Liverpool Legends who ran out comfortable winners.
Argyle Legends Starting Line Up:
Peta Balac,
Gordon Nisbet,
Ryan Cross,
Darren Tallon,
Chris Harrison,
Kevin Hodges,
Martin Barlow,
Mark Rowe,
Martin Phillips,
Danny O'Hagan
and Micky Evans.
Geoff Battams,
Gary Penhaligon,
Jason Rowbotham,
Kevin Nancekivill,
John Matthews,
Darren Garner,
Mark Damerell,
Tommy Tynan,
Marcus Crocker,
Joe Davey,
Pete Foxwell,
Jason Jones
and Kevin Keegan.
Johnny Hore
Liverpool Legends Starting Line Up:
Bob Bolder,
Phil Neal,
Gary Gillespie,
John Wark,
Alan Kennedy,
Mike Marsh,
Michael Thomas,
Jan Molby,
Paul Walsh,
Mark Walters
and Chris Jones.
Jimmy Case
Phil Babb,
Don Hutchinson.
Phil Thompson.