Argyle Legends vs Manstow FC 2016

Sunday 3rd July 2016

Argyle Legends and Manstow FC put on a display worthy of the occasion in a memorial game for Manstow founder Nick Cummings. The game played at the home of Manstow FC attracted a crowd of over 300 including former Argyle players Nicky Marker and Sean McCarthy.
Prior to the game it was agreed that former player James Dungey, who was brought up at the Ivybridge based club would play the first half for Manstow and the second half for the Legends with Manstow goalkeeper Steve Lomas playing in goal for the Legends.James had travelled from his home in Shropshire especially for the game.
The game started at a frenetic pace and the Legends new keeper Lomas distinguished himself after only 2 minutes,diving bravely at the feet of the onrushing home forward after he had broken clear of the Legends defence.
A minute later it was the turn of Dungey to excel, with a spectacular one handed save from the Legends Paul Smith, whose 25 yard shot was heading for the top corner of the net.
The home side kept up the pace and went ahead after 8 minutes when Ryan Lucassi scored from fully 25 yards giving Lomas no chance of saving.
In the 11th minute and against the run of play, the Legends equalised when Liam Ford's cross cum shot deceived everyone and went in off the far post.
Manstow were a constant threat with their lively forwards bringing the best out of central defenders Chris Harrison and debutant Paul Maxwell. With Mark Saunders and Darren Garner prominent in midfield the Legends were slowly coming more into the game.
After 20 mins Ford hit the Manstow crossbar with a tremendous strike from 20 yards
Ten minutes later Dungey saved on the line with his legs from the outstanding Mark Saunders.
In the 33rd minute Garner put the Legends 2-1 ahead with a sublime finish following a brilliant 4 man move which tore the home defence apart.
As the half wore on Manstow were reduced to shooting from long range, without seriously troubling keeper Lomas.
There was no more scoring as the referee blew for half time after 40 minutes.
During the half time interval Shaun Sullivan replaced the injured Chris Harrison and James Dungey made his Legends debut with first half keeper Lomas joining the Manstow ranks.Shaun Sullivan went into central midfield with Mark Saunders dropping back to partner Paul Maxwell in the heart of the Legends defence.
2 mins into the second half Dungey made a magnificent save from an outrageous volley from Manstow's Chris Plant, tipping the ball onto the crossbar, with the ball bouncing down almost on the goal line and hitting Dungey in the face, before being hacked clear by a Legends defender.
A minute later Saunders made it 3-1 to the Legends with a soaring header following a superb cross from Mark Rowe.
15 minutes into the half the Legends were forced into another change when the injured Liam Ford was replaced by Spencer Cooper.
With 20 minutes remaining Steve Brownlow replaced the impressive Leigh Cooper.
A minute later Manstow were back in the game when Ryan McClements pulled a goal back with a brilliant effort from fully 25 yards.
The Legends responded immediately and Mark Damerell almost increased their lead when his shot hit the far post before rebounding safely into the arms of the keeper.
After 69 minutes Shaun Sullivan drove narrowly wide after a superb though ball from Garner.
The Legends with almost a 1,000 first team games between used all their know how to see out the remaining 10 minutes by keeping hold of the ball and restricting the home side to very few chances and eventually ran out 3-2 winners.
Legends Line Up
Steve Lomas (James Dungey HT),
Paul Edwards
Paul Maxwell
Chris Harrison (Shaun Sullivan HT)
Leigh Cooper (Steve Brownlow 60 mins)
Liam Ford ( Spencer Cooper 55 mins)
Mark Saunders
Darren Garner
Mark Rowe
Paul Smith
Mark Damerell