Argyle Legends vs Saltash Veterans 2013

Sunday 17th November

Argyle Legends produced a magnificent team performance in their final game of the year to defeat an excellent Saltash Veterans side 4-0 in a keenly contested encounter at Kimberley Stadium.
A crowd of over 300 saw the home side come close to scoring after just 5 minutes when a headed goal was disallowed for pushing.
In their first real attack Legends striker Bradley Swiggs had his header saved on the goal line by Ashes keeper Richard Keith.
The Legends were passing the ball brilliantly with Mark Rowe and Ryan Cross prominent in midfield. With Mark Rowe and Darren Garner also working effectively the Legends were having the majority of the possession.
The Legends came close to scoring in the 21st minute when a Swiggs shot from 25 yards was well saved. A minute later Barlow had his shot well saved.
Saltash always looked dangerous going forward and Garry Penhaligon made a great save after 23 mins .
The Legends went ahead in the 27th minute when Cross scored with a deft finish from just inside the penalty area,guiding the ball pass the onrushing keeper.
The Legends back four of Paul Edwards, Chris Harrison, Andy Duncan and Leigh Cooper were looking solid but were indebted to Penhaligon who made another great save after 36 mins.
There was no more scoring before half time and the Legends went in to the interval leading 1 - 0.
The Legends were forced into a half time substitution with Damien Davey replacing the injured Barlow.
In the 49th minute Cross came close to doubling the lead when he shot just over the bar from 30 yards.
The Legends made two more substitutions in the 55th minute with Geoff Battams and Spencer Cooper replacing Harrison and Leigh Cooper.
One minute later that man Cross scored his and the Legends second with a magnificent strike from 30 yards. Garner flicked a free kick to Cross who volleyed an unstoppable shot past the home keeper.
The Legends were forced into their fourth and final substitution in the 65th minute when Steve Brownlow replaced the injured Duncan.
In the 73rd minute Mark Damerell made it 3 - 0 to the Legends when he coolly slotted home from close range.
The crowd were being treated to some fine football from the Legends and roared their approval when Garner chipped the keeper only to see his effort acrobatically cleared from just under the crossbar.Garner hit the clearance on the volley and his effort crashed against the bar before being cleared.
In the 76th minute Penhaligon made a great double save as the plucky Ashes strove to get on the score sheet.
The Legends were not to be denied and Swiggs made it 4 - 0 in the 82nd minute, after Garner had been denied when clean through.
A successful day on the field was made complete when it was announced that just under £4000 had been raised for Leukemia Research and Carbon Monoxide Awareness.
Legends Line Up;
Garry Penhaligon
Paul Edwards
Andy Duncan (Steve Brownlow 65 mins)
Chris Harrison (Geoff Battams 55mins)
Leigh Cooper (Spencer Cooper 55 mins)
Martin Barlow (Damien Davey H/T)
Ryan Cross
Darren Garner
Mark Rowe
Bradley Swiggs
Mark Damerell.