Argyle Legends vs Southwest League X1 2011

Sunday 31st July 2011
Argyle Legends began their 2011/12 season in convincing style with an emphatic 6 - 0 victory over a gallant Southwest League X1.

The game played at Home Park was the highlight of a family fun day organised by the Green Taverners to raise money for the staff at the football club.

A healthy crowd had gathered in time to see the Legends Darren Garner fire narrowly wide after just 4 minutes.

In an evenly contested opening 15 minutes Bradley Swiggs went close for the Southwest X1, as did Garner and Martin Barlow for the Legends.

In the 15th minute Tommy Tynan had his shot saved following a great run by Kevin Nancekiville.

2 minutes later Nancekiville opened the scoring with a neat finish,calmly taking the ball around the goalkeeper before slotting home.

The Legends were dominating the game and Mark Damerell struck the crossbar after 22minutes.

One minute later Tynan fired wide from close range after being superbly set up by Nancekiville.

Garner thought he had doubled the lead when he fired home after 27minutes, his effort being ruled offside.

The Legends were not to be denied and Barlow made it 2 - 0 in the 30th minute.

The Southwest X1 goalkeeper was having an outstanding game and saved superbly from Tynan in the 35th minute and also denied the same player from the penalty spot 4 minutes later.

Damerell had another effort saved and Tynan fired narrowly wide before the referee blew his whistle for half time.

The Legends made 5 substitutions for the second half with Darren Tallon, Spencer Cooper, Kevin Hodges, Owen Pickard and Marcus Crocker replacing Geoff Battams, Jason Rowbotham, Chris Harrison, Mark Damerell and Kevin Nancekiville.

The second half started with the Legends on the offensive and Pickard made it 3 - 0 in the 47th minute with his first touch of the ball, cooling dinking the ball over the goalkeeper.

One minute later Barlow scored his second and the Legends fourth goal when he fired high into the net from just inside the penalty area.

The Legends striving to keep their first ever clean sheet were almost punished in the 50th minute when Cooper cleared off the goal line.

In the 52nd minute Swiggs hit the Legends crossbar with a rasping drive that had goalkeeper Ryan Draper well beaten.

The game was effectively over as a contest when Crocker made it 5 - 0 in the 68 minute with a great finish from the corner of the penalty area.

As the game entered its' final quarter the legends made 3 more substitutions with Pete Foxwell, Graeme Kirkup and Andy Bacon replacing Ryan Draper, Ryan Cross and Tommy Tynan.

Pickard was leading the line in the reshuffled line up and scored his second and the Legends 6th in the 90th minute.

After the game it was anticipated as much as £6,000 had been raised throughout the day.

Legends Line Up:
Ryan Draper,
Geoff Battams,
Ryan Cross,
Jason Rowbotham,
Chris Harrison,
David Byrne,
Martin Barlow,
Darren Garner,
Mark Damerell,
Tommy Tynan and
Kevin Nancekiville.
2nd Half Substitutes:
Spencer Cooper,
Graeme Kirkup,
Darren Tallon,
Kevin Hodges,
Owen Pickard,
Marcus Crocker,
Andy Bacon and
Pete Foxwell.