Argyle Legends vs Torquay United Legends 2014

Saturday 17th May

Argyle Legends ran out 2-1 winners in a hard fought fixture against Torquay United Legends in their latest fixture played at Coach Road, Newton Abbot,the home of Devon FA.
The Legends were forced into a number of changes following their 3-2 defeat to Luggys' Legends in their last fixture with Ryan Draper, Chris Harrison,Neil Saunders and Mark Rowe all returning to the side. There were also debuts for Liam Ford,talented former schoolboy Josh Webber,Nigel Jarvis and Guy Branston, whilst guest player Lloyd Gardner joined fit again Jason Rowbotham on the substitutes bench.
The game kicked off in sweltering heat in front of around 350 fans and the opening exchanges were fairly even as both teams contested the Rowcroft Challenge Cup.
In the 8th minute Webber had a shot from 25 yards well saved by Torquay keeper Kenny Veyzey.
One minute later Draper distinguished himself with a great save from Alex Russell,brilliantly tipping the ball over the bar from a 30 yard shot.  
The Legends were forced into their first change of the game when Bradley Swiiggs suffered a hamstring injury after 13 minutes and was replaced by Lloyd Gardner.
The Legends were always dangerous on the counter attack and Ford almost put them ahead after 18 mins, his shot striking the post with Veyzey beaten.
The Legends plans were further disrupted in the 19th minute when Ryan Cross was unable to continue and was replaced by Nigel Jarvis.
However 3 minuted later the Legends almost opened the scoring when a Webber cross shot from fully 25 yards shaved the outside of the upright.
The game was proving to be an enthralling encounter with Kevin Hill and Alex Russell prominent for Torquay and Mark Saunders marshalling a superb Legends back four of Paul Edwards, Chris Harrison and Neil Saunders. With Liam Ford impressive in midfield alongside Mark Rowe and David Byrne, Draper was rarely threatened in the Legends goal.
The Legends were always a threat going forward but there was no scoring as the first half ended with the score 0-0.
The Legends were forced into a further change during the interval when Guy Branston (Brano), who had played the first half for Torquay, replaced Chris Harrison.
The second period got off to an explosive start with the lively Webber again firing just wide and Mark Saunders heading just over the bar.
In the 51st minute the Legends went ahead when Gardner converted a penalty after he was felled in the box after a jinking run. 
On the hour mark, the Legends replaced the hard working Jarvis with Andy Bacon.
The Legends always looked dangerous in attack with Gardner brining another fine save from Veyzey following another mazy run.
In the 66th minute the Legends were awarded another penalty and Gardner scored his and the Legends second of the game with a finely placed shot.
Two minutes later the Legends replaced the hard working Byrne with Jason Rowbotham.
Torquay reduced the arrears in the 78th minute with the third penalty of the game when Mark Saunders was adjudged to have tripped Hill,and Alex Russell calmly slotted the kick past Draper.
During a tense last 10 minutes the Legends held their nerve to crown a magnificent team performance with a 2-1 victory and it was Legends captain Chris Harrison who was presented with the Rowcroft Cup.
A hugely successful afternoon was further enhanced when it was announced the Rowcroft Hospice would receive £2,000 from the event.
Legends Line Up:
Ryan Draper
Paul Edwards
Mark Saunders
Chris Harrison (Guy Branston H/T)
Neil Saunders
David Byrne (Jason Rowbotham 68 mins)
Liam Ford
Ryan Cross (Nigel Jarvis 19 mins/Andy Bacon 60 mins)
Mark Rowe
Josh Webber
Bradley Swiggs (Lloyd Gardner 13 mins)