Argyle Legends vs Wadebridge Vets 2011

Sunday 27th November
A late strike by Argyle Legends Paul Smith saw them survive a second half onslaught from Wadebridge Vets to win a thrilling encounter at Bodieve Park by 3 goals to 2.

The game, played in front of a large crowd was organised to raise funds for one of Wadebridge's greatest ambassadors Brian "Chippy" Chapman who has suffered from ill health for a number of years. Former Argyle player Johnny "Farmer" Brown was the match sponsor.

The Legends were quickly into their usual passing style of play and in the 6th minute Tommy Tynan had a 25 yard shot comfortably saved by home keeper Paul Hicks.

The Legends continued to have the better of the early exchanges and should have gone ahead after 10 minutes, when Mark Damerell headed wide from a great cross by Danny O'Hagan.

It was no surprise when the Legends opened the scoring in the 12th minute, O'Hagan firing a shot across the keeper from just inside the corner of the penalty area.

Wadebridge managed by former Argyle full back Tony Rounsevell were slowly getting into their stride and went to close to equalising on two occasions before that man Damerell made it 2-0 to the Legends in the 23rd minute. Undeterred by his earlier miss, Damerell latched on to a through ball and lobbed the ball over the onrushing goalkeeper into the corner of the net.

The home side prompted by Kim Rooke and Dave Dowling were still creating chances and came close to reducing the deficit after 30 minutes, the latters shot crashing against the Legends crossbar. The game was now an even contest,although there was no more scoring before half time.

The second half was only 3 minutes old when Wadebridge reduced the deficit with a headed goal following a cross from the right.

Spurred on by their success the home side were totally on top and the Legends goal had a charmed life at times with the bounce of the ball cruelly denying Wadebridge on no less than three occasions.

Legends goalkeeper Gary Penhaligon was the far busier of the two keepers and the inevitable equaliser arrived after 76 minutes when the defence succumbed to another close range header.

The home side now had their tails up, but as so often happens in football the Legends went and scored within a minute when Smith fired home a terrific shot from just inside the home penalty area.

The Legends needed all the experience of Chris Harrison and Leigh Cooper to see them through the final 10 minutes of the game, although even then it needed a last gasp clearance from Pete Foxwell, on for the injured Mark Rowe, to ensure a slender victory and see them complete their fixtures for 2011 on a winning note.

Legends Line Up:
Gary Penhaligon,
Spencer Cooper,
Geoff Battams,
Chris Harrison,
Leigh Cooper,
Paul Smith,
Darren Garner,
Mark Rowe (Pete Foxwell 85 mins),
Mark Damerell,
Tommy Tynan,
Danny O;Hagan.
Unused Sub
Steve Davey.