Argyle Legends vs Willand Rovers Legends 2012

Sunday 25th March

Argyle Legends produced a magnificent team performance to beat an excellent Willand Rovers Legends side and extend their unbeaten run to 5 games.
The game played at Willand to raise funds for the Adam Stansfield Foundation was played in Summer like conditions and both teams readily agreed to play only 35 minutes each way.
Argyle Legends were forced into a number of changes and gave a debut to Mark Saunders, whilst fit again Martin Barlow was drafted into the side. Plymouth born and former Torquay United Legend Kevin Hill guested for the Legends at left back.
It was the home side who dominated the early exchanges and it was fully 5 minutes before Argyle Legends entered their opponents half of the field. It came as no surprise when Phil Everitt opened the scoring for the hosts,calmly turning in the penalty area and firing beyond Legends keeper Ryan Draper.
Slowly but surely Argyle Legends came more into the game and equalised in the 15th minute when Tommy Tynan converted a penalty after Mark Damerell was fouled in the box. Tynan and Damerell were linking well and in the 18th minute Damerell's shot was well saved after being put through by Tynan.
Argyle Legends new midfield pairing of Mark Saunders and Mark Damerell were gradually taking control of midfield and it was the hosts turn to have to defend.
Argyle Legends went ahead in the 20th minute with a cool finish from Damerell after being put through by Tynan.
The home side rallied but found Chris Harrison and Darren Tallon in outstanding form at the back,supported by full backs Geoff Battams and Kevin Hill. With David Byrne a constant threat on the right wing it was surprising their were no more goals as the first half ended with Argyle Legends 2-1 in front.
The second half was only 3 minutes old when Martin Barlow made it 3-1 to to Argyle Legends with a header following a pinpoint Byrne cross.This seemed to take the sting out of the home side and Paul Smith almost increased the Legends lead in the 50th minute,his volley from outside the penalty area, brilliantly saved by Brian Cann. Not to be denied Mark Saunders made it 4-1 a minute later, out jumping the home goalkeeper to score with a header.
The home team, to the delight of a large crowd, pulled a goal back in the 58th minute when a mistake at the back allowed Everitt to score his and Willand's second goal.
With 12 minutes remaining another Willand goal would have set up a tense finish, but Argyle Legends experience ensured their were no further goals and the game ended in a 4-2 victory against a side made up of the cream of the Western League.
Argyle Legends Line Up:
Ryan Draper,
Geoff Battams,
Darren Tallon,
Chris Harrison,
Kevin Hill,
David Byrne,
Martin Barlow,
Mark Saunders,
Paul Smith (Neil Saunders H-T),
Mark Damerell and
Tommy Tynan.