Argyle Legends vs Devon & Somerset Fire Brigade 2011

21st August 2011

Argyle Legends extended their unbeaten run to 4 games when they drew 2-2 in their latest game against Devon & Somerset Fire Brigade at Weston Mill Oak Villa.

The Legends made 2 enforced changes from the previous weeks win at Tavistock with Martin Barlow and Mark Rowe replacing the unavailable David Byrne and Kevin Hodges.

The game played to raise money for the Brigades' Eddie Forbes, recently diagnosed with motor neurone disease kicked off in front of a large crowd and saw the Legends on top in the early exchanges and they went ahead in the 10th minute when a Brigade defender deflected a Darren Garner effort which was going well wide, into his own net.

The Legends failed to capitalise on this start and allowed the Fire Brigade to get back into the game with Rhys Wilmot making a fine save in the 22nd minute to preserve their slender lead. In a rare Legends attack Tommy Tynan shot wide from 20 yards after 30 minutes. With fireman Jason Rowbotham guesting for the Brigade the Legends were having difficulty creating clear cut chances and were once again indebted to Wilmot who made another excellent save after 38 minutes. The Legends almost doubled their lead one minute later with the home keeper making a point blank save from Darren Garner.

There were no more scoring opportunities and the referee blew for half time with the Legends winning 1-0.

The Legends made 2 changes at the start of the second half with Mark Damerell replacing Leigh Cooper and Ryan Cross on for Darren Tallon whilst the Fire Brigade saw the Legends Ryan Draper play in goal for them.

Draper was soon in action with a smart save from Tynan after 48 minutes. After 55 minutes the Legends made their final substitution with Jason Jones replacing Martin Barlow.

The Legends were still guilty of overplaying in the final third of the pitch and almost paid the penalty in the 58th minute when a header from the Brigade thundered against the cross bar. An equaliser was always on the cards and came in the 65th minute with a fantastic volley from the corner of the Legends penalty area which flew past the diving Wilmot into the top corner of the net. Two minutes later the Legends were trailing 2-1 when the Brigade scored with a close range header. Stung by this double set back the Legends were soon on the offensive and equalised in the 70th minute when Damerell fired past Draper from close range. Buoyed by their equaliser the Legends had the better of the final 20 minutes with Draper making excellent saves Marcus Crocker, Garner and Damerell.

After 2 minutes of stoppage time the referee blew for full time in a game the Legends should have won but could have so easily have lost.

An after match raffle raised £1,070 for motor neurone disease.

Legends Line Up:
Rhys Wilmot,
Geoff Battams,
Darren Tallon (Ryan Cross H/T),
Graeme Kirkup,
Leigh Cooper (Mark Damerell H/T),
Martin Barlow (Jason Jones 55mins),
Darren Garner,
Mark Rowe,
Paul Smith,
Tommy Tynan and
Marcus Crocker.