The Legends Cup Tournament 2013

Sunday 18th August



Argyle Legends lost a keenly contested final against Devon FA by 2 goals to 1 in an exciting final played at County Headquarters, Newton Abbot.

A dramatic day started with the late withdrawels of Darren Garner and Jason Rowbotham which left the Legends with only 11 players to contest the Legends Cup.

The first semi final saw the Legends play arch rivals Exeter City in the first Devon Derby of the season.

This game started in dramatic fashion with Exeter scoring in the first minute when Legends full back Geoff Battams chipped the ball over Rhys Wilmot from fully 25 yards.

The Legends were soon into their normal passing game and had plenty of possession without seriously troubling Kevin Miller in the City goal and the score remained 1 - 0 at half time.

The second 15 minute period saw the Legends dominate the game and Exeter were desperately hanging on to their slender lead as the game entered the final 5 minutes.

With one minute remaining the Legends equalised with a Paul Smith penalty after Bradley Swiggs was hauled down in the penalty area.

Shortly afterwards the referee blew the final whistle and the game was to be decided on penalties.

First to take for the Legends was Paul Smith who again slotted the ball past Miller.

Exeter levelled at 1 - 1 as former Argyle player Darren Rowbotham scored.

Joe Davey made it 2 - 1 to the Legends and Paul Edwards 3 - 1 as Jason Rees missed for Exeter.

Scott Hiley reduced the deficit before Damien Davey made it 4 - 2 for the Legends.

Kevin Miller and Lee Annvnziata levelled the score at 4 - 4 as Legends Bradley Swiggs saw his penalty brilliantly saved by Miller. 

Andy Bacon put the Legends 5 - 4 ahead before City's Graeme Kirkup skied his effort high and wide as the Legends marched into the final where they would meet Devon FA who defeated Torquay United also in a penalty shoot out.

The first half of the final was a tense affair and ended goal less with the best chance falling to Swiggs whose header was narrowly wide.

Two minutes into the second half Jason Warren put Devon ahead with the Legends defence debating who was at fault.

The Legends continued with their stylish passing and an equaliser looked imminent.

In the 24th minute Paul Smith saw his tremendous shot well saved by devon Keeper Chris Garnsworthy.

In the 25th minute Devon scored again, with the Legends defence appealing vainly for an offside flag that never came. 

In the 29th minute the Legends reduced the defeat when Andy Bacon scored with a brilliant chip over the onrushing goalkeeper.

One minute later the referee blew for full time as both sides made it a final to remember.

Devon Chief Executive Paul Morrison said later. Plymouth Argyle Legends gave one of the best team displays as the carpet of a pitch complimented their relaxed style of play and Andy Bacon's goal was the goal of the tournament. All in all it was a great day for the County.

The Legends Cup now seems certain to become an annual event.


Legends Line Up for both games.

Rhys Wilmot,

Steve Brownlow,

Darren Tallon,

Paul Edwards,

Geoff Battams,

Damien Davey,

Matt Jacques,

Paul Smith,

Joe Davey,

Andy Bacon,

Paul Smith.